Sunday, October 14, 2007

Impossible is Nothing

Have you ever taken a course in mass transfer? If not, do not read any further!

For if you have gone through the rituals, you are most likely to remember the book by treybal. If you are the unfortunate Phd kind, you probably still sleep over it.

This is not about the book. This isn't even about me. It is about a man and his deepest fears coming true!

I hated it from the bottom of my heart ever since i first met with the book. Whenever i opened the pages, i felt like i was being tied to a tree and punished with a hunter! The piercing pain and the imaginary smell of the silkened flesh still linger fresh in my memory. The psychometric charts looked like the kitchen of the devil who was cooking my misery. The problems about the distillation plants made me feel sad for the african girls who were being sold in the markets of Ethiopia. I felt a strong cord of distinct similarity. When you are forced to do something you dislike so much and there is no way out, what do you do about it?

Well, not much i guess.

Time moved on. Mass transfer became a thing of history and treybal was a happy man ever after. I actually don't remember an instance where i felt anything remotely bad for him. Even when i was going through the pain, i felt sad for the guy who had actually had to write a book about transfer of mass from a phase to an other. He probably doesn't have to worry about hell as he has lived through it!

A typical hindi movie romance starts with a fight between the boy and the girl and ends up with them falling in love. I never believed in it!


Well, most of the time, beliefs shouldn't change! That leaves for some time when they are allowed to change!

I met with the book again on this weekend. I happened to meet a friend doing his Phd at MIT and he was kind enough to let me into the room where he stores this book and treats it with atmost devotion!

I didn't know what to do for a minute. Here i was, face to face with my devil. My deepest fear. My deadliest nemesis. I slowly but surely moved towards it. I took the book in my hand and began to feel it's texture. In a single momentary flash, the entire history dawned itself before my eyes. I started going through the pages. The very psychometric charts from the past began to look like innocent puppies. It doesn't feel anywhere close to a devil's workshop. I went through the pages which discuss distillation plants. I felt something melt inside me. There were tears in my eyes.

The wonder for me is that i couldn't bring myself to hate the thing i thought was my worst enemy. I felt like i was holding a teddy bear in my hands.

I think this is a lesson for every man who is scared of something. anything. The thing that you are scared of is probably not the reason for your misery. The reason lies inside you. And gladly for me, the reason doesn't exist anymore!

3 comments:

Anshu Anand said...

Fuck man ...Treybal ...you took me down the memory lane ...unlike you , I loved that book from the start...unfortunately my research field is different so I don't have to 'deal' with it anymore.

On a totally different note,this is the best blog post ever !

Deepak said...

anshu suggested me to read this... and believe me... same as anshu, i also never hated that book.... though never fond of that either... but truly mass transfer or any other thing..... i still continueto appreciate the concepts that one learn in his engineering.....

waise seriuously one of the best posts i have read

Suresh said...

i am proud of ur patience and the ability to like things of distaste. thanks for coming by.