Monday, June 09, 2008

Commentary

Are you one of those who are fascinated by sports commentary? I definitely am one. The impressions of all my favorite sport moments are undoubtedly influenced by the commentary around the seconds.

As a teenager, I was in awe with the amazing comments of Harsha Bhogle and Tony Greig but always discounted the feeling. I never gave commentary the credit it deserves. Few commentators like Sidhu and Gavaskar are really discountable by any scale.

But years later, I realize that they all did have their strong influence on my cricketing mind (if I have anything like that). Off late, I have just come to love the commentators of Cricinfo. I almost read word to word of their comments on all key matches.

I should say the television commentary on the just concluded French open was of high standards but the NBA commentary sucks for the most part. It is blaring into the ears and is often too dumb in context. Very unfair to the game which is so brilliant in the nature of play.

My all time favorite piece of commentary is this: (note that unnecessary elements like names are removed)

"Look at this guy. He never walks away from the pain. I think that is what the measure of a man is. When faced by the choice between grief and nothing, he always chooses grief!"

Wow! so much better to hear anything like this than having to sip beer in a bar and watch Eurocup with no commentary!

No comments: