Thursday, May 25, 2006

The ability to say NO!

There is one thing common among indians who work in the outsourcing industry. In the process of pleasing their clients (the clients are overpleased way too often!) the employees in the thousands of BPO's/KPO's/ITES don't use the word NO as much as they need to!

The problem has its roots in indian culture and has far greater manifestations than in Outsourcing industry. In india, the guests are the equivalents of gods according to popular culture. Hence, they need to be treated accordingly. The employees of back-office operations believe a lot in this and so, work like "horses". And also, i belive it is a case of lack of self confidence and the ability to assert one-self.

Its all good for job scene that India becomes a prima donna outsourcing hub but the very thoght that some/many of my own cousins may end up working for call-centres or other BPO/KPO outfits makes me freeze as if i reached northpole. But, thats off the point.

So, what's the point? This blog is just my knee-jerk reaction to something which has affected me. Lots of my friends work for outsourcing outfits and i myself have worked for a couple of such places. And the disease is widely spread. People work long hours
as if they are working on very important assignments which mean millions of dollars gained or lost. The truth is that much of the work in KPO industry is just second hand work. And the white skins in the US usually know what to outsource and what to not and never outsource "important" work. The indians in backoffices have a lot of perks but they lack the most important of all. Empowerment and a feeling of job satisfaction. The growth profiles stink and so does the food.

The last weekend saw me in one of the most awkward situations i have faced in a long time. A close friend of mine asked me a favour. A friend of a friend of his is coming to bombay with his friends and has no place to stay! So, he needs my place to stay. I could have easily said no as that would mean i would be dislocated 4m my own home. But i didnt. I said YES. And i know what i had to go through. Thats just one example of what the disability to say NO can do to you.

No comments: